Skip to content
Close up of a chair with a pillow on it infront of a bright window

Home Insurance

Nothing is more important than protecting your home. It’s where you keep your belongings, and where both you and your memories live. That’s why we offer flexible, comprehensive home insurance options, including seasonal and apartment coverage, in and around the areas of Algoma, Sudbury, North Bay, Parry Sound, Timmins, the Muskokas, and Haliburton.

Our home and apartment insurance doesn’t only insure your home, it provides peace of mind for your family. We have the home insurance solution you’re looking for — whether you own or rent your home, our brokers will work with you to find a customized option that suits your needs.

Residential Policy Wordings

Residential Policy Wordings (PP-0700-0118) Tenants Package Policy – Plus Form Wordings (PP-0 055-0118) War and Civil War Exclusion Clause Endorsement – Residential (AMIC-WAR-0224)

Home Insurance Services We Offer

We’re here to help you navigate the best insurance options to protect what matters most to you: your family and your home.

  • Personal Home Insurance
  • Seasonal Coverage
  • Apartment Coverage
  • Residential Homeowners Insurance
  • Seasonal/Secondary Home Insurance
  • Tenants Package Policies
  • Specialty Coverage for Flood and Wood Heat
  • Specialty Coverage for Log Construction and Higher Value Seasonals
Find a Broker Near You

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my home insurance cover the contents of my house during a move?

Generally, your home insurance policy will cover the contents of your home (your personal possessions) during a move. But there are instances where your insurance company could refuse coverage. For example, if a piece of valuable art being moved between residences is damaged during the move with no apparent cause (like a traffic accident) then Algoma Mutual could refuse coverage — unless you have a specific moving clause. Check your policy for specific details. However, perils like theft or damage should be covered, as long as you don’t act in a negligent manner. If you’ve hired a professional moving company, you can rest easy. Moving companies generally carry insurance against property damage that might be caused during a move, especially if their staff were responsible. Make sure you supervise carefully while remaining clear of the movers. Inspect your goods upon receipt to allow you to report any damages immediately and to protect you from making a claim (to either your insurance company, or the movers) that won’t be reimbursed.

Does having “all risks” insurance on your home cover you for everything?

Unlike the name suggests, all risks insurance doesn’t cover every possible risk to your property. However, it does have the most extensive list of all home insurance options. It includes all possible disasters except for a list of named exclusions, for example, damage caused by insects or rodents, volcano damage, or earthquake damage. In areas affected by earthquakes, coverage is often available at an additional cost.

My friend broke a valuable item in my home. Can I claim it under my home insurance policy?

Yes, but Algoma Mutual will likely follow up with your friend to recover the money for the claim that they pay out to you. So if you’re looking for reimbursement for the breakage and you’re not going to replace the item yourself, you’re likely best to approach your friend for the replacement to avoid having to pay your deductible and having a claim on your insurance record.

Do I need a separate insurance policy for my home office equipment?

There are two things to consider here. First of all, your existing homeowner’s policy may only cover you for a limited amount of business equipment — you’ll likely want to secure coverage for all of the equipment that you have on site. Secondly, you will likely not be covered under your liability insurance on your homeowner’s policy if someone has an accident in your home office. Adding business insurance to your home (in addition to your homeowner’s policy) will ensure that you have the appropriate coverage to avoid financial liabilities in the case of an accident or disaster.

If I choose not to replace an item that I claim through home insurance, do I still get the cash?

Even if you do not replace the item, your insurance provider will pay out on the claim if the peril is covered. The difference may be in the amount that you receive as payment. In the case of a replacement value policy, you may need to provide receipts to prove the true replacement cost. Otherwise, you may only receive the actual (depreciated) cash value of the goods that were lost or damaged. Home insurance can be a tricky subject, but you can find out the answers you need, and then make an educated decision as to what coverage is right for you, your family, and your home.